Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Because Snitches Get Stitches


So, Kansas City has just had their 113th homicide this year. I think we've beaten previous records for our town. Media has run stories on how inner city folk won't talk after a crime has been committed...because "snitching", as pop-culture has coined it, just ain't cool. A teenager is gunned down in broad daylight in a crowd of people, and no one knows a thing.

Most of the crime occurs in the areas of town notorious for it. Usually, there are witnesses, and usually, those witnesses won't talk. Then, they complain that these crimes go unsolved and the killers walk free. "Cops ain't doing their jobs" they say, as if the police department can figure most of this stuff out by looking in their crystal ball. Don't people realize that a lot of success within the justice system is directly related to the cooperation of the people it was designed to protect?

Ofcourse there are groups who are fighting this mindset, but it appears they are losing the battle. How do you fight glorified pop-culture?

If you don't snitch, you lose the right to bitch...they should make a shirt that says that. Until people stand up and speak out, their neighborhoods will fall to gangs and thugs. Instead, they will just go on, killing each other, and everyone on the outside powerless to stop it. And I, will be at the hospital, with a lot of my colleagues, just waiting for the end results to roll in.

*I found this blog...if there were more people out there like him (edited for gender), I think a lot of problems would be solved. One of the best blogs I've read.*

3 comments:

t. durden said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
t. durden said...

Hello Heather, thanks for dropping by on my blog. I was just visiting yours and I couldn't help notice that little comment that points to my blog. I am humbled. I am also a "HE" and not a "HER" (lol).

Yes, that is the new urban blight with this no snitching nonsense, thankfully in NYC, the cops are out in full force, and the nasties keep their distance ...so far.

Thanks again for the visit and the kind words.

GB, RN said...

Crap...sorry I didn't notice the penis. lol

Great blog anyway!!!!

H