Thursday, February 19, 2009

And I'm Going For It!

My workouts have been relatively uninspired as of late. Spending 30 minutes on an elliptical machine is just not interesting to me. My workouts have always been more productive when I had something to work towards. Not a new, smaller pair of jeans, but more like an event. I've done a couple 5K runs in my past, and always enjoyed the training that went with them. I was working towards a goal, and I always felt a greater sense of accomplishment when I crossed the finish line.

I have friends who participate in triathlons, and have always been interested, but the idea of a full-blown Ironman scared the hell out of me. Then, I learned that triathlons came in all shapes and sizes. Then, I found this. After looking over the site, I found myself getting excited in the way I would get excited about those 5Ks I used to run in.

So, by God, I'm going to do it. I'm going to compete in my first triathlon.

This year.

Or die trying.

I have until August to get ready for it. Actually, there's a triathlon at Shawnee Mission Park some friends were telling me about that's in July. We'll see where I am as that date comes closer, but for now, I'm shooting for the Smithville event. I've been trying to drum up other ladies who might want to participate with me. After all, misery loves company.

I've always been a strong swimmer, as well as biking. However, the running might be the biggest challenge. I went to the gym tonight to swim, just to see how long it would take me to swim half the required distance. Aside from the goofing off with Mom, and gawking at a guy with the second finest ass I've ever seen, I did 250 meters in 30 minutes.

Pathetic, I know.

At this rate, it will take me an hour just to swim across the lake. And I'll be too exhausted to even get on the bike, much less ride the damn thing.

I know I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I've got some good mentors, not to mention my own cheering section, of whom I know will be there on August 1st, holding signs made in my honor, and roses to greet me when I cross the finish line.

Right????

Finally, something to work towards. The smaller jeans will just be icing on the cake.

6 comments:

Melinda said...

That sounds awesome!!!

Kansas Sity Sinic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kansas Sity Sinic said...

I've done it the past 2 years and it's FAB!

Also, there's another Women's Mini Tri that's in Olathe in late August.

If you google "Mini Triatlon Training" you'll be able to find a great training schedule.

Also, I highly recommend spinning classes

bobbie said...

I'll root for you!!!

Candice said...

Go on wit yo bad ass.

My goal is becoming the most worthless piece of shit I can possibly become. So far so good!

Faith said...

Dude, if I could wear flippers while doing rhe swim, I'd be on that sheeit...

Go for it, sista! I'll send you mental encouragement whenever I think about it between now and August. And I might just show up the day of to cheer you on. WOOHOO!!!