Tuesday, September 29, 2009

She's Here!

After many false alarms, and great discomfort to the mom-to-be, my little niece was born last week. Naturally, I was at work and had to miss her big debut. Mom got a special invite for the birthing room, so she was calling me (when I wasn't calling her) for updates. And I, in turn, was making announcements to my coworkers. Yeah, I could have called in, but I had just called in from my barotrauma (dive issues), and I didn't want to push my luck with the Bosshole.


But I had to work the ENTIRE weekend, postponing my meet and greet with the new beebs because I was coerced into picking up an extra shift. That Smo is a hardass. My training in the fine arts of hardassdom is coming along nicely.


So, last night, I finally got to meet her. She's so tiny. I don't remember Peanut being so small, but I guess she was. My joy at my new niece can only be eclipsed by watching Brother interact with her. She's like a little planet, and he's a moon that orbits around her.


Brother, having been under the disinct impression that he could not produce children, is beside himself with the new hybrid. Covered in tattoos and piercings, people's first impressions of him are generally not favorable. But when people get to know him, they discover that he's probably one of the most generous and friendly people you could ever meet.


He's using words like adorable, and beautiful, and precious. Words I don't ever remember him using, to describe his daughter. His daughter. He holds her like she's made of fine china and regards her with a reverence I've never seen him exhibit. I feel sorry for the boys who come calling for her when she's a teenager. She's definitely going to be a Daddy's Girl.


It seems like yesterday he was riding around the neighborhood on his bicycle, and I was vigilent, making sure Redneck Brother didn't pick on him. My baby brother. It speaks volumes to a person when the baby of the family is having babies of his own.

As for me? Holding little Kaylee, it made me think of my own biological clock. I don't really hear it, so it's not like I'm one of those child-driven women. I'm 34. Is having a family of my own still possible? I'm not even dating anyone seriously. Is it something I even want? Mom suggested I just find a donor and have one, but I still consider myself old-fashioned that I'd really like to have the Dad present. Marriage and all that stuff...if I decide to go that route.

So, while I remain perched on the fence, I will just enjoy having nieces and nephews. At can at least spoil them and then send them back to their parents house. As for the latest addition to the clan, she's a night person. Sleeps all day, howls all night.


She takes after her aunt that way.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're definitely NOT too old! Congrats on the new addition!

Keep looking, the right guy will come along. Just don't settle for anything less than what makes you happy.

bobbie said...

That is the cutest baby I've ever seen!! And her Daddy looks like he has just fallen in love for the very first time!!!

Joe said...

Congrats. My third grandchild is oh so close to making an appearance. I can't wait.

Marti said...

Oh how adorable! Congratulations to the family!

Nora said...

Congrats on the new niece! She is beautiful! Even those with tatt's and piercings (me being one of them) are usually big mushes! So happy for you and the family!