Friday, October 27, 2006

Nurse Follies: Late for Work By Almost Two Hours

I just can't get a break sometimes.

Tonight, as I was leaving the apartment building, I noticed my tire was flatter than Boob Job's new rack (sorry, guys...it was a reduction). I called work to tell them I would be running late.

Then, I called my friend, Marge, and asked if she knew if her husband had an air tank. She wasn't sure, so she gave me his cell phone number to call him direct as he was downstairs. I did...and he did. Thankfully, he came over and inflated my tire. We noticed the sound of air leaking right away. I got in my car and made a beeline over to Tires Plus.

After waiting in line, the schmuck behind the counter told me that they wouldn't be able to fix my tired that night...even after I explained my dire situation. He told me to come back tomorrow morning, he wasn't even nice about it. Asshole.

From there, I drove clear to Gladstone to NTB. My last experience with them wasn't pleasant, but I was desperate. I went inside and explained my situation to the guy in charge. He told me that they could take the tire off the car and I could come back tomorrow and pick it up. Sounded good to me.

I sat in their little waiting room, watching Billy Ray Cyrus sing the National Anthem at the World Series. Who's brilliant idea was that???

The manager poked his head inside the waiting room to announce he was going to try to fix the flat right then. Cool.

Minutes later, the manager appeared and indicated that the problem didn't lie with the tire. It was the chrome wheel it was attached to. Apparently, chrome wheels are notorious for building up corrosion, and it caused the tire to be pushed away from the wheel, subsequently causing the air to escape (exciting, I know). He then told me he would try to smooth out the bumpy spots and see if that would help.

About 20 minutes later, he drove my car out of the garage, gave me my keys, and told me there was no charge.

NTB is now back in my good graces.

However, I may have to buy new wheels, and those are not exactly cheap.

Maybe this time I can get spinners. Fo shizzo!!

No comments: