Sunday, January 21, 2007

Mom 3, Heather 0

Mom and the boyfriend came buy to drop off stuff at Heather's U Store It. I'm housing various items until June, and I get a new mower in exchange for it. I have a big backyard, so I can't complain. It's not like I have immediate plans for the basement.

Boyfriend pulls me aside and whips out this little white box.
Uh-oh.

Boyfriend opens said box to reveal a ring who's diamonds (more than one) are roughly the size of large grapefruits. I ask if the ring means what I think it means, and he answers to the affirmative, providing my mother gets a divorce. He then asks what I think and just shrug and give the very generic, "whatever makes her happy" response.

Mom calls later that night and wants to know why I didn't tell her about the ring (apparently he presented it to her over chimichangas at the Salty Iguana). I didn't know I was supposed to tell her, but she wants to know what I think. Again with the "whatever makes you happy" response. At this point, I don't have an opinion. Okay, maybe I do, but I am just too tired to share it. I don't think this is the response my mother is looking for, but it's pretty much the answer she is going to get. I just don't care as much as I probably should. You do your thing, and I'll do mine and everyone is happy.
Would it be bad if I hoped they just ran off somewhere and eloped? My brothers don't know...what are they going to think when they find out? Probably much the same way as I am...just realize she is a grown-up and can make her own decisions, shrug and move on with life.
So, this will make my mother's third marriage. His fifth. I guess at first you don't succeed...
All this has made me pretty skeptical about marriage. Maybe I won't do it at all because no one takes it seriously anymore. Kind of sad, actually.
Looks like I'm now going to have eleven step-brothers and sisters. Crap...I'm going to have to start sending out Christmas cards.

No comments: