Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Back In Iowa...

I just found out today that a guy I knew, and used to attend church with, passed away a couple weeks ago. He was only 3 years older than me. Died in his sleep.

Truth is, I hadn't talked to him in years, unless you count a sporadic hello on Facebook. He was a nice guy. In the years I knew him, I don't know that I ever saw him mean to anyone. He was always chatty, and he always had some story that pertained to Iowa. He was from Iowa, and it was always, "Iowa this, and Iowa that..."

The Iowa stories did wear on you after a while.

Life marched on...I stopped going to church. He moved back to Iowa. We were not the closest of friends where we continued lines of communication. The friendship diminished into something more along the lines of "He was this guy I knew once..."

But it still doesn't make his passing any less shocking.

A nice guy, who left behind devoted parents and siblings. A ginormous patchwork quilt of friends. And a metric shitload of Iowa stories.

Rest in peace, Andy.

3 comments:

kate sweeten said...

So sorry - a guy that I briefly dated during my senior year of college died in his sleep on Christmas Eve this year. It gives you the creeps, you know? He was only 28 and while I hadn't seen or talked to him in years, it was still really sad to hear.

Melinda said...

A classmate of mine (from Iowa, actually) passed away in his sleep a few months ago. It surprised everyone because he was only 32 and had felt crappy that day, but had no signs of anything being wrong. It's a jolt to the system. I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

Donna. W said...

Oh yes, there's nothing like the feeling you get when you hear of people in your age group dying. By the time you get to be my age, it happens quite often. I think it's just the realization that "I could be next."