Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year!

The New Year's Eve festivities went off as planned last night. Dinner at The Melting Pot was great. We had a great waiter, the food was great, the company was great. We all had a collective stroke when the final bill was presented.

However, the movie we saw after dinner sucked ass.

We went and saw The Producers. I had heard that it was good Broadway show. I had also heard they turned it into a movie with the same actors that was on the Broadway show. I had heard it was funny. Despite my reservations of sitting in a movie theater when the clock struck midnight, I agreed to go. It was a funny movie, or so I was promised.

No. It sucked. It was almost as bad as Ishtar. If you ever listen to any piece of advice I offer on this blog, listen to this...don't go see The Producers. I'm sure this show is great live. One of the things I found annoying was that the acting was a little over the top as it usually is in theater because in theater, you can't see the facial expressions of the actors, and so you have to go a lot on body language. I like a lot of movies, this one doesn't count.

Two and a half hours of my life I will never have back.

After the movie, we drove through the Plaza to get home. On the way, we saw many a merry folk...some a little too merry. In one instance, a guy decided to carry a girl in a very revealing dress on his back. Five steps later, they toppled over onto the sidewalk. Their friend, meanwhile, staggered over to a taxi waiting at a stoplight (who already had a fare inside) and blurted, "Can we have a ride??" The taxi just sped away. We cheered.

Drunk people look really, really stupid. We laughed at all of them. Maybe if people realized how stupid they looked, they wouldn't drink so much.

The cops were out in full force. Cars pulled over right and left. I would be curious to how many drunk-driving arrests were made last night. One might think there would be sobriety check-points peppered throughout the city. Turns out, there were none. Instead, the police just decided patrolling would be better.

Other than the movie, it was a great night.

I'm glad 2005 is long gone. I'm looking forward to a new year. Happy New Year, everyone!!

No comments: