Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Heather Goes Deep South

So much for a blogging vacation.

I thought I would be able to get out of blogging while I was here in Hotlanta. As it turns out, Kant's family have a computer, so I thought I would just drop an update on my week for those who care to read it. If you don't care to read it, just click on that "next blog" icon somewhere on this screen.

We made it here to Georgia with little fanfare, unless you count Kant's mom jumping up and down in the driveway when we pulled in. We left before the buttcrack of dawn on Friday. I usually try not to get up before 10am, 9am if I can possibly help it. So, imagine my excitement when I found out I had to be ready to go by 6:30am.

We drove through Missouri to St. Louis. Then, down through Illinois to Kentucky, where we stopped in some little podunk town called Kattawa. While we were there, we went to this restaurant called Patti's, home of the ginormous porkchop. All the workers were wearing pioneer type garb, and everyone had an accent. Our waiter was rather cute, very soft spoken, and an accent that reminded me of another southern boy who tends to tickle my fancy from time to time. Kant and I were trying to figure out a way for him to sit down and read us the menu with his cute little southern accent.

The next day, we drove through Nashville. Yee-haw. We drove throught the moutains of Tennessee, where a semi damn near ran us off the road. Bastard. We drove through northern Georgia, then ended up in Sugar Hill, Georgia. Home of more subdivisions than you can shake a stick at. Kant and I pondered for a moment the fact that we were now in a Confederate State. Did that mean she was a Yankee transplant? I didn't think so...Missouri was a buffer state, and could therefore go either way.

Since being here, I have been to church with Kant's family, which was a nice experience for Southern hospitality is no myth. I went to the Outlet mall with Kant. We went to this totally awesome store called Ikea. Really cheap home furnishings. However, the store is set up in such a manner that you can't find anything. I think I will just buy online from them from now on. If I do manage to go to another store in my lifetime, remind me to wear more comfortable shoes.

Everything you have ever heard about the traffic in Atlanta is true. All traffic, all the time. Yesterday, it snowed (so apparently I didn't escape crappy weather). It only snowed in the morning, huge flakes the size of golf balls. It snowed for about a minute, then it just rained for the rest of the day. Georgians drive crazy, even in the rain.

Did I mention I'm terrified of being in a car in the rain, particularly the passenger? Anyway, we had to go through downtown Atlanta to go to the Ikea store, and I was in the backseat...curled up into the fetal position and sucking my thumb. That has no reflection on the driver...I'm just that scared of riding in the rain.

So, I have been spending money here and there. I've been trying to buy mostly stuff I won't find in KC. Because I have seemingly bought too much stuff already, I am going to ship it home via UPS. I'll get my box, and it will be like Christmas all over again.

This is my Georgia adventure thus far. Today, we are going to some touristy place. I'm hoping to find boiled peanuts there. Schools are letting out early for Coretta Scott King's funeral...but somehow I don't think most of the students will be attending. King's passing and subsequent passing-activities are a really big thing down here right now because all these famous people and politicians are in town. I think everyone is all in a lather because Oprah is here.

So now I go and do other stuff. I hope everyone is having a great week.

No comments: