Monday, November 20, 2006

The Hunt for Major Appliances

This morning, I had to drive all the way down to Belton to go look at a washer and dryer advertised on Craigslist. I've never utilized Craigslist. I always thought Craigslist was for perverted married men to go trolling for casual encounters with anything that moves.

Turns out, there's lots of stuff on Craigslist besides that. This couple listed a European washer and dryer. Some research online and speaking to a European revealed to me that this was a very good price for a very good washer and dryer. If Scandinavians have got anything mastered, it's anything with engineering and clean underwear.

At any rate, I enlisted Paul to go with me in the event the sellers of said washer and dryer were psychotic killers, and I wouldn't be brutally murdered and somehow incorporated as part of this family's Thanksgiving dinner. Which begs the question: what kind of gravy goes good with Heather...white or brown?

So, we went and looked at said washer and dryer. I told the couple that I would make arrangements to have them picked up tomorrow night.

I dropped Paul off at his car and came home, took a nap, got up and dressed, and thought I would stop at Nebraska Furniture Mart and price refrigerators.

I don't know...maybe I did it wrong. But the fridges at Lowes are cheaper than the ones at Nebraska Furniture Mart. Either they were insanely expensive and ginormous, or cheap and tiny. None in the middle where my budget resides.

They had one there that had a television in the door, which begs the question: Why? During those late night snack raids, you can pop in Pride and Prejudice, pull up a chair and watch while you eat whatever tickles your fancy?

Another lady was staring at he $3500 wonder of technology, clearly puzzled. I told her that this particular piece was new to the "More Dollars Than Sense" Line of appliances.

I didn't buy a refrigerator on this day. I suppose my search would be easier if I didn't want a black one, side by side, offering up ice and filtered water. So, the search continues.

Meanwhile, the realtor continues to haggle over the repairs I want done. Cartus is supposed to respond by tomorrow night. I didn't request a huge amount of stuff to be done...just things that I felt were safety issues. So, we shall see.

No comments: