Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Town Worthy of a Darwin Event

I rolled my eyes when I read about that town where a large number of teenagers got pregnant, making a pact to do so. Just when I think the pubescent demographic couldn't get anymore retarded, stuff like this happens and completely blows my mind.

So, if terrorists decided to drop a bomb on this entire town, I think they would be doing the world a favor. So many stupid pro-creators, living in one small area, is just asking for a Darwin event to help thin out the herd. Especially that one girl who got pregnant by a homeless guy. Ewww. This baby is pretty much screwed. How does one cope with the fact that you mom was a blatant whorette who slept with some homeless guy so she could get pregnant??

When I was a teenager, yes, teen pregnancy existed, but it was still considered something of a major screw-up. I don't want to say it was a "dirty little secret", but it was. The teenage moms were certainly not proud of it. They just had their babies, quietly. If they were lucky, they had supportive families and they were able to finish high school. There was no in-school daycare. Girls did not get pregnant just because they thought babies were cute and they would like have one, and having a baby shower and get free shit would be totally awesome. No, pregnancies usually happened because birth control failed or they just didn't use any.

The stigma of being an unwed pregnant teenage mother was enough to terrify me into not having sex when I was in high school. I had a great, big fear of the penis. (A fear, that I am happy to report, that I have overcome.) I think the stigma that came with being an unwed pregnant teenager was enough for most girls to take extra measures to prevent it, or just abstain from sex altogether.

I don't know when the stigma of pregnant teenagers changed. It's not a big deal anymore (of which I think is bullshit). Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I still believe that there is something fundamentally wrong with society being okay with a 16 year old getting knocked up. Girls, lacking the maturity to care for a hamster, are getting pregnant because they think it will be fun, or it will fill some kind of void in their lives, or because some dumbass celebrity did it and it would be so cool, or for some other asinine reason.

Whenever I read about the Pregnancy Pact and the details that are emerging, I just can't wrap my mind around it. I don't even want to think about what is going to become of these babies. It's a sad story, and it makes my hope for humanity die just a little bit more.

2 comments:

Faith said...

When the reporter for GMA said, "For what it's worth, all the girls I spoke to who have babies already seem to be very happy," I responded ('cuz I talk to my t.v. on a regular basis, yo), "Yeah, why don't you check back with them in 3 or 4 years? Dumbass."

I've personally known two people who had babies when they were 17/18 years old. Girls I was close to. They both gave them up for adoption, and the girls (my friends and their daughters) have gone on to live their lives accordingly. It's worked out just fine, for the most part.

I don't understand wanting to have a child at all, so I can't purport to try to grasp what's running through the mind of a chick who wants to have a baby more than she wants to just graduate from high school, but again, I doubt that "happy" will be a way to describe their lives 2 - 5 years down the road.

FletcherDodge said...

I'm just surprised that a group of sheriffs from Texas hasn't swooped in and carried all these pregnant teens off to Child Protective Services or whatever. Clearly their parents are unfit to raise them.