Thursday, December 22, 2005

Calling in Sick: A Catch 22

We have these signs posted ALL around the hospital...in English AND Spanish...blathering something to the affect that if you are sick, you shouldn't be around patients, and please see the nurse before entering a patient room. Blah, blah, blah.

Reason would tell you that a healthcare provider should call in sick and not expose whatever crud they have to their sick patients...right? Yes, that does sound good in theory, but there is hell to pay when you actually do call in sick. You leave the floor short-staffed, and they have to find more nurses, and how dare you get sick in this time when EVERYONE ELSE is getting sick?!?

Why am I blathering about this? Well, I had to call in sick tonight due to some, ahem, gastric ailments. There's some sort of little bug floating around, targeting nurses, and picking us off like flies. Some nurses, rather then face the wrath of an unforgiving attendance policy, will actually go to work...only to be sent home sick anyway.

Yeah, I'll probably get written up for calling in sick. Ask me if I care when I am paying homage to the Industrial toilet that sits in my bathroom.

Nurses generally have a stronger immune system than most...and that comes from coming in contact with most every single bacterial critter both known and unknown to modern medicine. We've built up a tolerance. If it is something that is bad enough to knock a seasoned nurse on her butt, imagine what it would do to someone who is already sick in a hospital.

Now, I am taking my Sprite, dry toast, and wooby to bed.

2 comments:

K2 said...

I hope you are feeling better today! You have to get better for Christmas. Be good! Love ya lots.

Beckle the Freckle said...

Hey, I had to call in sick today too because I have a raging sore throat and a runny nose. Everyone will be mad at me, too, because this means that, God Forbid, if they have to close the snack shop for the night those heart patients won't be able to get the diet techs to bring them a chocolate milk shake.

They can kiss my butt though...I'm not making people sandwiches with snot running down my face.

You feel better too, shmoopy!