Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Christmas Shopping Sucks and Other Funny Things

I went Christmas shopping with Mom yesterday. She took a day off from work to do so. She is way more into shopping than I am. I am the kind of person who likes to have a general idea of what I want to buy, go to the area where I might find the item in question, buy it, then get out. A kamikaze shopper. My mother is one of those people (along with every other female) who likes to go to a big place that sells lots of stuff (i.e. the mall) and wander around, looking at everything, maybe make a purchase here or there. At the end of the day, she would have spend 6 hours at the mall, and bought a total of 3 items.

So, she set her alarm at 5am. Who gets up that early to go shopping? My mother! She bounces in my room all cheery and perky. She is a morning person. I am not a morning person, which is why I work night shift. I roll out of bed and stumble into my clothes. I remind her the mall doesn't open until 10am, but that doesn't matter. By the time I get dressed, awake, and we get our ducks in a row, it is almost 9am.

We trek out to The Great Plains Mall or whatever the hell they call it. It's quite a drive from my house. We get there, find a parking spot, go inside. I find myself a new warm coat because I have been needing one for 2 years now and haven't been able to find something I liked. It is purple and has fake fur trim. I was hoping to find something with real fur just to piss the PETA people off, but no such luck. We walked the full length of the mall, getting accosted by a pushy Israeli who wanted to rub lotion on my hands and buff the hell out of one nail in hopes I would by his wares.

We happened to find something to wear to our respective Christmas parties. At the checkout counter, I noticed the clerk carefully folding my mother's shirt, only to just stuff it in the bag when he was done.

In the end, Mom got most of her shopping done. I didn't buy much, but did decide I was going to give everyone gift cards this year.

Tonight, I am at work. I am in charge, so I get to put on the asshole face. I've only had to be hostile once so far to a float nurse who never wants to work when she's supposed to. I did manage to stop by Starbucks and pick up one of their yummy Peppermint Mochas before coming in. In the parking lot, I saw an older woman and a younger guy at her car. She had unlocked the driver's side with her remote, but not the passenger side. So, with the door open, she is standing there pushing her remote so the guy can get inside the car. Pushing, pushing, pushing. I almost wanted to remind her that the button on the door would probably work a little better, seeing how her companion was shivering in the 18 degree weather. Sometimes, people can be really, really dense.

No comments: