Thursday, September 06, 2007

Thursday Activities

Today I had a working lunch. Our little group met at a restaurant and we talked about things to make working on the unit better. More often than not, I hold my tongue at these meetings.

Anyway, one of the things discussed was how crappy morale is. Someone suggested that we should stop saying negative things, becoming encouraging cheerleaders for the unit. My response...a big, wet raspberry. If you have a mass of people who hate their jobs, telling them to lie and blow sunshine up the butts of whomever needs disillusioned is not going to help. In fact, it's going to make people more hostile.

Whatever.

On my way home from the meeting, I drove through "the hood". One house I passed, had all it's contents sitting out in the front yard. I'm assuming the occupants were either evicted, or shot. At any rate, every square inch of that front yard was covered in stuff: furniture, decor, clothes...EVERYTHING. Not to mention that everything was stacked 5-6 feet high. I spotted various people wandering over to pick around. One lady in a white Cadillac stopped, grabbed a fake ficus tree, stuffed it in the backseat of her car, and drove away like a bat out of hell.

It was one of those instances that I regretted not having my camera on me. I called Paul (ND!) and he berated me for not having my camera, telling me that I had an obligation to my readers (all five of them), the have pictures when I shared stuff like this. He asked me how my bootwagga was doing (because he secretly has a vested interest), and then told me that he now has a bike I get to ride when I come and visit...which is never because he never invites me over but maybe once a year.

Tonight I went with my friend Trish to a Pampered Chef party, hosted by one of the girls she works with. Incidentally, this person also lives about 8 blocks from my house.

She recently bought a house, completely gutted it out, and remodeled. I don't know what the house looked like before, but I was impressed by what it looked like now. I always admired those people who had a good eye for decor. Hers had a European feel to it. The kitchen almost felt like a bistro. Wine references in the dining room and kitchen. It was very nice.

I came home and surveyed my house and decided that my theme is pandemonium and chaos...in no particular order. My house is still a work in progress, and I am pretty happy with what I have done so far. I really need to stop comparing it with others. It's not elegant, but it's my home, and my goal is for people to feel welcome when they walk in the door.

Anyway, I bought a bunch of stuff at the party because I am a HUGE Pampered Chef whore. I made friends with Trish's friend and we discussed hanging out because we are both single, both have dogs, both nurses. She seemed really nice. Her dogs were really cool, too. Sam is going to be very happy to have new friends to play with.

I have a GINORMOUS headache tonight, not to mention it sounds like my roof is going to be blown off the house before the night is over. I've taken some Tylenol and Benadryl and will hope for the best.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you're still without an oven, but now you'll have all your new Pampered Chef toys to play with once your oven works again!

Well Hell Michelle said...

Of all the things that lady could have stolen, she picked a fake ficus tree? That's messed up :)