Thursday, July 10, 2008

Losing a Day

Because I am afflicted with the worst case of insomnia ever, I stayed up until 5am on Wednesday. After lots of sleeping meds, and a hot shower, I finally dozed off. I figured I would only sleep four hours and just wake up on my own. That's usually how this works.

So, imagine my shock when I rolled over this afternoon and the clock read 4:55pm. I had a work-related meeting to attend at 5. I jumped out of bed, combed my hair and pulled it back into a ponytail, dressed, and hauled ass to the meeting, which was held at the Spitfire Grill. If you go, have the chicken sandwich. To die for!!

When I was driving home, I lamented the loss of my day. My entire day, and I got little accomplished. I stayed up late tonight to play catch-up on stuff I could do around the house...like clean, and paint a couple more cabinet doors. I have a new deadline to have the kitchen done by, because I'm hosting a work-related bbq next month.

I'm going to try to go to bed a little earlier than 5am. I need to set my alarm so I can get up and call the doctor and see if he will call in something a little more useful than just recommending I take Benadryl. This is bullshit.

What sort of things, aside from pharmaceutical interventions, do you use to help fall asleep?? (And please don't say "masturbate furiously". That might work for The D, but not here.)

6 comments:

Xavier Onassis said...

Melatonin. Natural hormone. Not a drug. I 5mg tab, 20 min later, sleep.

"The D" said...

Well that was uncalled for. I like to beat up minorities and the homeless.

Spyder said...

Next time I have trouble sleeping/restless leg thingy I'm trying the Rescue Remedy I got for the dogs. It mellows them out during fireworks & storms so that should to the trick. Sorry I don't know any homeless that would allow me to "beat" them like "The D" does.

6502Programmer said...

If you're masturbating furiously to fall asleep, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG. Slowly and gently, like a cool breeze washing over the hot beach. That's how you fall asleep.

Suzy said...

Welcome to my world. Up until 5 am and sleeping for only 5 hours after that. Coupled with RLS. Last night I fell asleep at 2 am and considered it a success.

Doing 2 unisom and a couple of calcium, which is a trick I picked up from another blogger. Then if all that doesn't work I pop a Benadryl and if THAT doesn't work I take 4 advil. Which usually works.

bobbie said...

Low-dose Trazadone (150-300mg) just before bed works for me...
But if you still can't sleep, there are some new Seamus pix up on the blog!
Sending sleepy thoughts ~