Monday, July 14, 2008

Huh?

I just read that the guy who created the calendar featuring return Mormon missionaries with, gasp, their shirts off has been excommunicated. Excommunicated. As in, don't-let-the-door-hit you-in-the-ass-on-your-way-out...but you're always welcome to attend Pioneer Day. And you are still allowed to eat all the orange jello with carrot shavings you want.

Guys without their shirts off, all of them wearing pants. (Hell, if more missionaries looked like the ones in the calendar, I might be more inclined to start going to church again.) It seemed innocuous enough. Proceeds went to various charities, such as Habitat for Humanity. Did I miss something sinister lurking within the glossy pages of the calendar? Were there gay undertones that I wasn't aware of? Was one of the models Southern Baptist??

It could have been worse...it could have been return sister missionaries posing topless. Or it could have been return missionaries that served during their golden years (i.e. old people) posing topless.

I understand the reasons the church has issues with the calendar, but isn't excommunication a tad bit severe?? It's reported that the models were not disciplined....which also makes it even more puzzling.

I hope he makes one for 2009. I think I'll actually buy a couple if he does. I'll send them out to my Mormon friends and we can all burn in hell together. With iced tea.

3 comments:

bobbie said...

I'll take a copy!!

Mark Smith said...

First of all, jello and carrot shavings are good, much better than red jello with fruit cocktail. And a serious question now. Does being kicked out of the flock mean you lose your boarding pass for heaven? I think it does with Catholics, though I wont swear to it on a stack of anything.

Beckle the Freckle said...

Actually, if you're a good Mormon, it's GREEN jello salad with shredded carrots. This is the celestial way...or something. :)