Thursday, February 22, 2007

Television Talent...or Lack Of

With my new acquisition of television reception via satellite dish, my world has been opened up.

However, I still have no idea why people watch reality show drivel.

Last night, I engaged in a flu-version of drunk dialing. Only the strongest thing I had been drinking was NyQuil. I called my friend Trish, thinking it was my sister-in-law, and asked her if her four-year old was reading books yet because I saw a really good deal on Dr. Suess books I thought he JUST HAD TO HAVE. Trish officially has deemed me nuts. I called my brother and I don't even remember what I asked him. I hope I didn't agree to give him any money.

One thing is for certain, though. I am the only person in the northern hemisphere that does not watch American Idol. Everyone I called was watching it. I don't understand the attraction. Since when does Paula Abdul have an authority to judge who has singing talent and who does not? She was in a video with a cartoon cat, for crying out loud! Now, she can hardly string together four words or more to make a complete, and comprehensible sentence.

Not to be outdone, the country music demographic has their own little country-version of American Idol called Nashville Star. I don't watch it either, but I have seen the commercials. Two questions always pop into my head when I see them.

1. Since when did Jewel become country music aficionado? Banging a rodeo star does not automatically make you a cowgirl.

2. Cowboy Troy? What. The. Hell. I remember the first time I saw a video with him in it. When it was done, Kant looked at me and simply said, "that sucked." Indeed.

I also don't get into why some people are so obsessed with television shows. Every time I hear a group conference about Grey's Anatomy, it makes me want to run screaming and pulling my hair out.

Any show that romanticizes extra-marital affairs needs to have their producers lined up for castration.

Die, Meredith, DIE!!

2 comments:

"The D" said...

American Idol is a stupid show for teenagers.

Beckle the Freckle said...

*Raises hand* I don't watch American Idol, either! And all I know about that Grey's Anatomy show is that that ugly nerdy 80's guy is in it and now people think he's hot? Mc-something? I don't know. These are the things I hear in passing.
On the rare occasion I get to watch something I want to watch(read:isn't a cartoon)you can bet it won't be reality drivel.