Friday, November 09, 2007

I Still Love Technology...Always and Forever

For the longest time, I had an innate fear of cell phone contracts. What if I signed one and the service sucked so bad, then I was stuck in a contract with a crappy phone service? I guess you can say I was bit of a commitment-phobe when it came to cell phones.

So, I started out with one of those Virgin Mobile phones where you have no monthly contract. It worked well for me. Because I had no social life, I hardly used the phone except for emergencies.

But then, I made friends who are all but surgically attached to their cell phones, and they started calling me on my cell phone instead of my home phone. Then, I would return calls. Then, I discovered the new world of text messaging, and my world opened up to all the disgusting things Brother would forward to me, and I would forward to everyone else. I mean, it's not everyday you get to see a guy with the 2 liter pop bottle protruding from his ass??

Needless to say, what started out as a cost-saving measure proved to be not so thrifty. I conceded that I should get a real cell phone, contract and all.

As for the commitment issue? Well, let's say that signing yourself to a 30-year commitment on something running into six figures is sure to cure you of that real quick.

Tuesday, I called my trusty phone carrier and inquired about adding a wireless phone to my bundle that already consisted of DSL, Dish, and land-line. A half an hour later, I had a cell phone en route because they were running a free-phone deal. They said the phone would take 5-7 days to get to my house. So, imagine my surprise when the Fed-Ex guy delivered it this afternoon.

Today, I've spent the entire day trying to figure out how to use the damn thing. Bluetooth? Isn't that something you really ought to see your dentist about?

I suspect I will have my head buried in the owner's manual for the duration of the weekend. If you need to get a hold of me, just call and leave a message. I should know how to retrieve it by next Thursday.

1 comment:

Spyder said...

Pink & shiny!

Don't ever post a picture of "a guy with the 2 liter pop bottle protruding from his ass" UGH!

Ok, now I'm going to bed.