Wednesday, May 24, 2006

(Too Hot to) Hump Day

Yesterday, I went out and got my hair done. I decided I was through with the red and wanted to go back to my natural color (blonde). My cousin doesn't understand why a blonde would ever want to be anything but blonde. I explained it was the same reason everyone changed their haircolor...because they get bored with what they have and want something different. I guess the same could be said about people with a lot of things...it applies to just about anything.

The girl I have been seeing for YEARS set to the task of bleaching and highlighting with enough foil to cover the outside of a lunar space module. I baked under a dryer forever, and when she took off the foil, my hair was fluorescent yellow and orange. Oops. She immediately put a toner on it. After 6 months of adding, adding, adding red to my hair, it wasn't going to go willingly with one salon visit. The toner was enough to make it a nice strawberry blonde, but I have another appointment next week for round two. She also cut about 3 inches off the length. It's too hot for long hair.

Today I went out, got my nails done at one of those places operated by Korean folks. The girl who was doing my manicure kept talking to me, and damned if I understood a word of what she was saying. Something about an ATM machine, or she could have been talking about a cat...I'm not sure. I just smiled and nodded. She drug out the loofah brick and started going at it with my feet. I think she accidentally sheared the top layer of skin off the back of my leg. I secretly said a prayer that I didn't end up like those women you see on the news...who go to a nail place, only to have their legs turn green and fall off because there was a contagious critter in the uncleaned hair trap.

From there, I went to the craft store to find more fabric for my rug. A woman was there with her toddler and infant, both cried and screamed the entire time she was there, which was roughly the same amount of time I was there. I was there for about half an hour. Wherever I went, the Screaming Duo was nearby. There was no escaping them.

By the time I made it to checkout, my left eye was twitching, and I felt compelled to rip the uterus out of my body. I refrained because my hands were shaking so much.

It's hotter than hell outside. It rained this morning, so now it's steamy on top of it. Sweat poured down the back of my hairless neck. Thank goodness I don't have a hairy ass.

Now, I am home. All pampered...and sweaty. For the remainder of the day, I shall remain indoors. I might even take a nap. I have to clean the apartment, maybe even download some music (legally), and do some work on my rug. Right now, the cats are sleeping.

Overall, a productive day...with lots and LOTS of iced tea.

No comments: