Thursday, February 07, 2008

Family References Suck and Other Blather

I got a call today from Rent-A-Center. Now, I don't patronize RAC. I think it's ridiculous to pay $1000 for something that you could spend $120 at Hellmart.

I was curious as to why they would be calling me, so I picked up. The guy on the other end told me that I was listed as a reference by my cousin who was applying to rent-to-own something through them, and would I mind answering a few questions?

Okay...

RAC: And what is your relationship with this person?
Me: My cousin.
RAC: And how long have you known this person?
Me: (pausing...is this a loaded question?) Uhhh...my entire life.
RAC: Can you verify her address?

Now, I haven't physically talked to my cousin in months, if not years. The only communication I've had with her was via email and IM.

Me: Uhhh...no. I know she lives in a small town somewhere.
RAC: Podunk? (Not the real name of the town)
Me: Yup! That's the one!
RAC: Okay...can you verify her phone number.
Me: No. I don't know it off the top of my head...but maybe I can find it somewhere.
RAC: That's okay. Can you verify her place of employment?
Me: Not really. I think she's a telemarketer.
RAC: (Rattles of some business that I've never heard of)
Me: Okay...
RAC: Can you vouch for this person as upstanding?
Me: Uhhh...sure.
RAC: So, can we put you down as a contact in case we need to leave her a message?
Me: Ummm...okay.

Shit! In the event she welches on this rental agreement, guess who's going to get the phone calls. For as long as I have known my cousin, I have known her to not exactly be prompt in the paying of the bills department.

There's a reason people buy from Rent-A-Center.

I'm a little annoyed that she put my name down without calling me first. I'm sure RAC guy hung up and thought that I was not only a crappy reference, but a crappy family member for not even knowing where my own cousin lived and how to reach her. That's not entirely true. I can send her an email.

I called my Mom and told her what happened. She thought it was hilarious.

I'm still not amused. I'm changing my phone number.

4 comments:

Joe said...

Long time reader, first time commenter. If you don't change your number, you'll be up shit creek with the calls when she's late.
When I worked for an alarm company back in the day there was a ROC in the ghetto that guys would steal a car and drive through the roll up door to get in and steal stuff. Its a funny sight seeing a still running car sticking out the roll up door. Sadly, there was no digital photograhpy at the time.

JustCara said...

Call me when you start getting calls. I bet they violate the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, which means the two of us can make a couple of bucks off of them.

RCH said...

D'oh! But I'm siding with your mom on the hilarity. (::ducking::)

FWIW, I don't even know the names of most of my cousins, let alone where they live or what they do. (I've got a ton on my dad's side, and all of them a good 20 years older than me....) DH, who has like five cousins total, thinks it's horrible that I don't know my own [very extended] family. Whatever.

Faith said...

WHY?? Why did you say yes?

You nice people scare me. :P:P:P