Saturday, April 07, 2007

Slap Happy, Wet, and Full of Ham


I've been awake for a total of 28 hours. I'm so tired, I can't fall asleep. Something tells me I will be hitting the Benadryl tonight.

After work this morning, I stopped by my mother's apartment for last minute preparations for today's Easter Feast (Yeah, I know, Easter is tomorrow...). Mom stopped to show me her new prescription bottles she just picked up. One bottle of diabetic meds, one bottle of thyroid meds. The pills in both bottles were exactly the same. We deduced that some pinhead at the pharmacy filled both bottles with the diabetic pills.

Off to the Walmart pharmacy we go.

I'm still in scrubs, looking the part of the scowling nurse. I ask to speak to the pharmacist there and I get the manager of the whole department. I show her the bottles, show her the pills, and she damn near pisses her pants. She's stumbling all over herself apologizing, gives Mom a free month of meds, plus a $25 gift card. Mom is elated. I demand to know how this med error occurred, and the pharmacist agrees that it was some pinhead who wasn't paying attention, and assured me that this would be taken to the home office for further scrutiny.

"I shouldn't have to tell you how serious this could have been," I said somberly.

We pick up some last minute stuff and I go home. I'm thinking I get at least a tiny nap in, but people start arriving the second I crawl into bed. Not fair!!

Family arrives, we prepare the meal, featuring a delicious ham from the HoneyBaked Ham store. An egg hunt, squealing children hopped up on all kinds of chocolate, and I am about ready to pass out.

My last guest leaves around 6:30pm. My house looks like a hurricane blew through it, leaving paper cups, empty soda cans, and a buttload of leftovers I'm not going to be able to eat. Looks like I will be toting some of it to work tomorrow night. I hope they like fruit salad.

On a brighter note, I have efficiently rationed out the remaining beer leftover from the housewarming party. Some people like beer better than chocolate rabbits.

On a more annoying note, I got a call from work. The bosshole was wondering why I wasn't on the schedule for tonight. If the bosshole would check his mailbox more often, he would have known I traded shifts with another nurse so I could be off tonight.

And on a more disappointing note, someone gave Sam a plateful of leftovers. At least he was outside, because the leftovers disrupted his delicate digestive tract and he had explosive diarrhea in the back yard. My last chore before I turn in the for the next 12 hours, was to bathe the dog...and I always end up with more soap and water on me, than he.

I'm so exhausted. Time to find that Benadryl.

Happy Easter!

2 comments:

Xavier Onassis said...

"Slap Happy, Wet, and Full of Ham"

That sounds so nasty! I like it.

Marti said...

I'm picturing Easter baskets filled with beer - yummy! LOL

Well it sounds like quite a day. Sorry to hear about your mom's meds - what a dumbass thing to do!

Hope you got some rest. Hugs to you!