Friday, November 21, 2008

Hank the Tank: 9 months

Life with a growing saint bernard is interesting. Hank is full of love and he's eager for attention. A very easy disposition, but he loves to be the center of attention.

Now, at 9 months of age, he weighs roughly 100lbs. Give or take a few. His father weighs 200lbs, his mother around 160. Did I mention that it takes almost 2 years for a saint bernard to reach their maximum weight?
When Hank commits to a spot for napping, you may as well resign yourself that he's just there until he's done because it takes some effort to get him to move. Unless, of course, you entice him with cheese. Or anything else that is remotely edible. Thankfully, he's what they call a "dry mouth". Which means he only slobbers after eating or drinking. Any other time, no drool.
Hank has never met a food he didn't like. He's even managed to eat a couple things that were not meant to be eaten.

I've been keeping a mental tally of everything he has decimated. A garden hose, the big spindle that the garden hose was on, a rake, a shovel, a welcome mat, a little plastic kiddie pool, 2 gas hoses for the bbq grill, and various little odds and ends. I powerful storm caused a 7 foot tree branch to fall in the back yard. Hank had reduced it to wood chips within 3 days. So, I know if I ever have a need for mulch, I know I just need to give him some wood.
When Brother moves out, he's going to owe me so much crap, he'll probably have to take out a loan.I can't be a hater, though. Could you stay mad at this face??
After all, he's still just a baby.

10 comments:

Nuke said...

I didn't know there were "dry mouths" among the breed. This whole time I was picturing you with hip waders on at home.

Candice said...

Aww, he's a pretty cute pup. Ginormous, but cute!

Unknown said...

That is my wife's fav breed! Beautiful animals :)

Melinda said...

I love the paws. Wiley and I have discussed getting a dog eventually. We like the big breeds too. Know anyone who's breeding Newfoundlands?!

Sully Sullivan said...

Nice. St Bernards are huge! I just got a pug a few months ago, a more manageable sized dog. I live in an apartment so if I wanted a St. Bernard he'd probably have to double as my bed just so I could fit him in there.

PlazaJen said...

He's awesome!!! I bet he can clear most horizontal surfaces with that tail, too. (Our much-smaller male lab is lethal around tv trays!)
Dry mouth: what a bonus!

bobbie said...

What a sweetie!! Wish we could get he and Seamus together for a play date!!

Rachel said...

Wow, what a gorgeous pup! I'd love to have a St. B. and didn't know there was a dry version. If I tell my hubby, we'll get one, so I'm not telling. LOL Someday, when the kids are grown and gone, I'm gonna let him do it.

Anonymous said...

What a cutie.

Cheers

Sandie said...

dang, doggy!