Saturday, October 13, 2007

Add a Heaping Pile of Bullshit

I've been keeping tabs on the Lisa Montgomery trial. Appalling. Just seeing a picture of this woman's ugly mugshot makes me want to reach through the screen (computer or television) and cut off this woman's air supply, until she passes away. I'd like to think I'd be doing humanity a favor in doing so.

For those of you who are not familiar with the case, you can Google her name and become familiar with it pretty quickly. If the story doesn't make your blood curdle and boil at the same time, you need a mental check. I'll be more than happy to give it to you.

Prosecution rested, and the defense has begun. They want you to think that she is insane. I mean, what sane person could do this horrific thing? Lawyers are going to drag out the circus in an effort to spare their client from the needle. Today, they brought out the family, and from the sounds of it, they come from America's finest trailer park.

The angle? Lisa was abused as a child and that has made her mentally unstable, and that's why she did what she did. Family members testified to the abuse, subjected to a shitty childhood, blah, blah, blah.

I'm not going to argue that Lisa was or wasn't abused (Predictably, the stepfather denied the allegations. Actually, the entire family all but claimed to be angels.), but I am going to argue that being sexually abused ultimately leads a person to a life of crime and entitles them to no accountability whatsoever. I know a lot of people who were abused as children (sexually or otherwise), and have grown up to be perfectly normal, rational, productive law-abiding citizens. To say that being abused leads to heinous acts, does a grave disservice to those who have survived it and have not let it dictate what kind of person they should have become.

No, I'm going to call bullshit on this one. Yes, maybe she was abused as a child, but that didn't give her the green light to do what she did. In fact, that applies to anyone who was abused. People who use their childhood as justification for horrific acts need to have their asses kicked. I think Jeff Foxworthy said it best when he said, "You know, my mom was great. My dad was great. I'm just a shit head."

I don't buy the "insane" defense anymore than I desire to have a sex change (and that would be a HUGE NO). Lisa Montgomery deserves the death penalty for what she did.

Hell, I'd even volunteer to put in the IV.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some people change in prison while others dont'.
She should just stay in jail. Why would you want her to take the easy way out of life and be executed. Being in jail is probably alot worse than one thinks.
When you have that sex change have you thought of a name like Harry?

Nightmare said...

Yeah well you can put the IV in if you want, but I'd gut her like a trout so she could feel what she did to that poor woman. all because she was abused and wanted something that she couldn't have. Fuck her I have lots of experience in field dressing deer, and other wild game. So what say you? Gut her like a trout and then feed her to the hogs?

Annie said...

I have a different take on it. It's not a black and white issue and while I don't intend to call your profession into question, I'd think as a nurse you'd be one to recognize that the way something looks on the outside may not be a cut and dried diagnosis. Unfortunately, our justice system has no shades of gray.
I do believe she's insane to some degree. I mean, who in their right mind would do something like this? Would she do this because she's evil and has no heart? I think she's cuckoo.
BUT, I don't believe she should be let off scott free because she's insane. Incarceration at a prison? Nah. That would only perpetuate her illness. Incarceration at a mental hospital - that would probably help.
Our prison systems do not offer the rehabilitation that most offenders need. A lot (not all) of the people in prison are there because of thinking errors. Do we teach them simply by putting them in an 8x10 cell? It may be miserable but it doesn't teach them a thing. Do we teach them (rehabilitate) how to behave when they re-enter society? Not enough.
So, before you insert that IV, remember that it's not black and white. Yes she should be punished, but she also needs to be helped or she'll come out of prison the same way she went in.

GB, RN said...

This isn't a debate on the death penalty. Some people support it, some people don't. I belong in the former category.

No, this is more an arguement of people using their childhood to justify the terrible things they do in life. They use it as a crutch and it's insulting to people who have survived similiar adversities, and don't have a rap sheet. Accountability seems to have died with common sense.

Yes, I come across patients who have deeper problems once you scratch the surface. I also get to take care of child molesters, convicted rapists, and murderers. I also recognize the fact that there are some people so evil, rehab is a laughable suggestion.

When you have such a person tell you they would slit your throat the first chance they get (even with a guard present and being shackled to the bed), try telling me that rehab is an option.

Joe said...

My ex wife, who was molested as a child, told me once that there comes a time that you can't use your childhood as an excuse for what you do as an adult. She works for the sheriff's department and sees the excuse making all the time.