Thursday, October 25, 2007

All's Red That Ends Red

This morning, I had to get up BEFORE the buttcrack of dawn to go pick up Brother from work. I didn't even bother getting dressed...I just went in my pajamas.

Around noonish, I went to the beauty salon because with the changing of the leaves, and the briskness in the air, it was time for that honored tradition of ditching the dirty blonde and exploring my redhead side once more.

The damn appointment lasted FOREVER. Only because she had to add an filler, then I had to sit and roast under a dryer, then she had to add the color, and I had to sit and stew for an additional 45 minutes. During that time, I asked for a quick eyebrow wax. Not anything dramatic, but enough to maybe smooth it out a little and get rid of the unruly hairs that tend to take a wrong turn and end up no where near the rest of the hairs. I think she got a little overzealous with the wax, because I now have pencil thin eyebrows. I can't wait for the unruly wild hairs to grow back. This look just isn't me.

A quick haircut later and I was out. The blonde is certainly gone and the red has arrived.

Let's discuss the color, shall we?

One of the things I pride myself on is my ability to wear red hair naturally just as I am with the blonde I was born with. I'm not too overly impressed with hair color that just isn't found in nature, and that is just my personal preference. (Despite my freespirit, I am somewhat conservative in nature.)

As I look in the mirror, I can't decide if I don't like the color because of the color, or because I'm shocked by the drastic change. I'm fairly certain it's not the same red in colors past, but there is something about it that I don't like, that I can't quite put my finger on. Do I look like Ronald McDonald or a Troll Doll? Is it red, or is it fuchsia in red's clothing? I don't know what it is, but I don't think this can pass as a natural color. I've seen this color before...on what, exactly, I don't remember.

I'm withholding my complaints for a few days because I know that red is a constantly evolving hair color, and fades a lot faster than browns and blacks. While I may be mortified to leave the house now, I could take a couple showers with intensive hair washings, and like what doesn't wash out.

This also means I'm not posting pictures (for now). If you want to see the new 'do, you can either come to the Halloween party tomorrow night, get sick and come see me on a professional level, or just use your imagination.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to go take the first of many showers.

No comments: