Monday, October 08, 2007

Monday's Musings

This weekend started par for the course. Worked on Friday. Worked sucked on Friday. Such is the nature of things. Why even mention it?

Saturday was heading in the same direction. Around 8:30, I was with a patient discussing how her hand almost came off, when I was helping re-adjust the pillow behind her when I felt something clench in my upper back. Pain and suffering ensued. I tried to shrug it off as just a muscle cramp and went about my work. An hour later, I couldn't even turn my head.

The charge nurse sent me down to the ER where I got the once-over by various staff. It was decided I had "thoracic strain", given some scripts for various meds, and sent home. After I returned to my floor to finish my charting and give report to the nurses who would be taking over my patients, I left around 1am.

I stopped by Wally World on the way home to pick up an ice bag. Some very interesting people visit that place late at night, and they also bring their very small children. Who keeps their kids up at that hour? From there, I went home and crawled into bed.

The next morning, it hurt to even climb out of bed, but I managed to so I could give Little Roo her shot. This was a painful experience for us both because I had to crawl under the bed to fish her out. Not having anything better to do after that, I went back to bed.

Around 1pm, I got up and realized I needed to fill the prescriptions, but I had to drive to BFE to do it. Unfortunately, I live on the other side of town, close enough to the stadiums to hear the collective groan coming from Arrowhead. So, I haul ass across town, have my scripts filled, and drive back home. Fortunately, I missed getting clogged in post-game traffic.

The muscle relaxers, coupled with the pain pill and anti-inflammatory, worked great. Now, it's all worn off, and my back still feels crappy. Getting out of bed was a fun task. Looks like I will be self-medicating again this morning. On a more pleasant note, Brother brought me delicious coffee this morning.

Funny thing about that combination of meds is that it leads me to extreme relaxation where I just sit at the computer and shop. And I drool a lot. This week's medicine-influenced purchase: one pair of black, platform, knee-high boots. Surely, I can incorporate this in my Halloween costume. While waiting for the pharmacist yesterday, I meandered over to the costume store and perused the isles, my mind a whirling cesspool of creative alternatives.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I am sitting here, feelings hurt. I'm not going to elaborate much on the matter, other than this is starting to be a regular occurrence. What does one do when someone regards your feelings as nothing more than a punchline to some lame joke? Yeah, I'm usually a barrel of laughs, but my life is not a comedy.

I have feelings, too.

7 comments:

Spyder said...

1st- You could have emailed me!!! I would have been glad to do what ever I could have to help (go to store, crawl under bed....) I will be emailing my home & cell phone # to you.

2nd- If you don't weat those bitchin boots for Halloween I'm going to have your head examined. Those rock! I'm jealous!!!!

3rd- I hope it wasn't me that hurt your feelings. If I did I apologize.

Hope you get feeling better.

GB, RN said...

Spyder, you're awesome. You didn't hurt my feelings. In fact, your comment gave me warm fuzzies.

My heartache stems from the Y chromosome.

Anonymous said...

Is Thanksgiving Day a hectic day at the hospital?

Melinda said...

You just go right up to whoever hurt your feelings and say, "Look, I know you don't think your words mean anything, but it hurts me when you don't take your head out of your ass" and elaborate from there. And if they don't apologize for hurting you, then you know what kind of friend they are - the kind in it just for them - and you kiss 'em goodbye, and maybe when they're more mature, they'll look you up, but don't waste any more time on them!

6502Programmer said...

Sorry to hear about you being down.. Relationships, whatever form they may take at the moment, can be a bitch. Look at it this way: If gentle education of the victimizer doesn't work, you can always shove that oh-so-hot boot up his ass.

GB, RN said...

Ah hah!! Second use for the boots!! Now they will more than pay for themselves!!

Anonymous said...

Idig's comment is awesome!